Ma, I'm Home!

40s, single, professional and female, living away from home.

Tuesday, February 10

Big Life Decision

Last Saturday, Nelson was at my place to talk to L and his wife, T, re: possible business ventures. He cut a deal with T who left shortly after to put the kids to bed. L stayed behind. The two were up discussing business till 3 in the morning.

It wasn't all business, though. Nelson informed me that he had decided to buy a house in the locality, and that he wanted me to live with him. He was very clear on marriage: he didn't want it. But what got me was his plan to register the property in my name. With that, I could then, according to him, present him to my folks.

That was met with stunned silence. I could feel myself withdrawing from Nelson.

Do I love the guy? No, but in all practicality, there couldn't be a better guy to provide for me. I would assist him in all his business dealings, help him with the management of any business I'd be qualified to oversee. I think that he sees in me someone he could count on and trust, especially in money matters. I'm very flattered, and overwhelmed.

Does he mean what he say? I don't really know the guy well enough. That's the bottom line. But I think he's sincere, as he did ask L to look for a house for sale. And he did bring it up without any prodding or hints from me. I told Mara about it today and she could only roll up her eyes and call me an idiot for not grabbing at the chance.

I'm overwhelmed. I'm terrified of this decision. But it's been made. Gung-ho and all that.

There's also news from the ADB front. I'm being considered as an editorial consultant by the Energy Division of the East and Central Asia Department. My main task would be to edit and/or write reports on projects financed by the bank in the region. Interesting stuff. Tough job, reading and distilling engineering technicalities into the language of laymen. That shouldn't be too difficult. After all, I don't have to bother with content, only with form. And there is a handbook.

Things are moving very fast. At the start of the year, I had this very strong feeling that I was in for a change, another one. It's going to be a wild and bumpy ride. Forth, into unchartered waters! Let's hope that, this time, it works. Actually, I have no choice. I have to make it work.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home