Ma, I'm Home!

40s, single, professional and female, living away from home.

Monday, December 27

Major life decision; tragedy

Carl called up Christmas eve. The signal was lousy. His call came through on the day after Christmas, though, but it was rather short as he was calling me on my landline. I suppose that costs more. In any case, we exchanged news.

He's finally moving out of his house into a rented one; has two agents for the place. The construction of the house in Queensland still has to be started but will probably start in the first quarter of next year. He still hasn't found a buyer for his construction business, though. But everything's moving as planned. As soon as he's sold the house, he's coming over for a visit. I hope it's soon as I miss him a lot.

I also made the decision, on the spot, to introduce him to my family the next time he's in town. Surprisingly, he welcomed the idea and seemed ready for it. In fact, I was relieved at his reaction. Come to think of it, I think he may have been trying to make me get to that point, perhaps as a benchmark of where this relationship is going.

There is now no doubt of that. It's finally a commitment. At least, on my part. I'll have to clear that up with him when I see him again. This is not something that can be fully discussed via email or on the fone.

End to 2004

The year ends with a tragic note. The successive typhoons hitting my country, causing devastation and death to countless homes, and millions of pesos in losses in agriculture and infrastructure; and the tsunami that hit five Asian countries, killing tens of thousands in its wake. The early evening news on tv set the number of accounted deaths at 15,000.

Analysts are not optimistic about the coming year, anticipating worsening global conflicts. Personally, I believe that 2005 will open doors of opportunities for me, both in my personal life and my career. I'm feeling optimistic about the local economy, and the present adminsitration's abilities to live up to the Filipino people's expectations. Already, it has shown political will in expropriating NAIA 3 on the strength of the Philippine Supreme Court's decision to nullify the Piatco contract for being grossly disadvantageous to public interest. For the first time in many years since EDSA 1, the judiciary is getting its act together and aligning itself with the executive in protecting the interest of the Filipino people.

It is encouraging to see the presidency throwing off the chains of bondage to private corporate interests, and exercising strong leadership of an elected national official, the highest in the land, no less. If there ever was a prayer in my heart, it is that this strong political will continues and grows, and that it inspires the Filipino to nationhood and greatness.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Testing the email notification system...Emyn

1:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home